GEC works with a variety of Employers/Host Organizations across the U.S. Employers include hotels and resorts, restaurants, retail operations, pool and lifeguard management and grocery stores. Before work agreements or training plans offered by Employers/Host Organizations are approved by GEC, all Employers/Host Organizations must have submitted the necessary required vetting paperwork for their business and the details of the positions. Employers and Host Organizations agree to:

  • Provide updated vetting documents as necessary (addendums, annual updates, policy and license renewals, etc.)
  • Contact GEC immediately when a student arrives, is terminated, abandons employment/training, or ends work at the conclusion of their program.
  • Adhere to the terms, pay and hours on the executed work agreement or training plan
  • Ensure that international students are paid the same wages and have the same conditions as would be provided to U.S. employees.
  • Ensure job positions are not scheduled primarily between the hours of 10:00 p.m. – 6:00 a.m.
  • Not allow a student to work before or after the end date on their DS-2019 form
  • Contact GEC immediately of any concerns regarding health, safety and welfare of students
  • Understand that employment is at-will just as an American employee
  • If applicable, provide only housing and transportation that is safe, suitable and affordable
  • Organize and support cultural activities for the participants while they are working/training at the host employer site.

If you are interested in becoming a GEC Employer or Host Organization, please contact us at or

Questions about Taxes

  • IRS Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens

Hiring Foreign Workers

Federal regulations that govern the program

Participant FAQ

The students have access to the Social Security application in the GEC Program Materials. A list of documents they will need to take with them to the Social Security Administration is also found here. If they have already applied and have a question about their card, refer them to the office where they applied. They can contact the Social Security Administration directly at 1-800-772-1213 or visit for information.

They have information to contact their home country embassy in Washington, D.C. for help. The embassy will assist them with obtaining any documents needed to travel home.

The students should contact GEC during regular business hours in order to obtain a new form. Students are responsible for paying the fees to replace the document.